Monday, November 30, 2015

Minestrone Soup

The holidays are upon us. During the holidays, I tend to eat more sweets. Well, this year I'm going to try to be good. At least, it is my plan. Also, I have been cooking with the kids more. I made the pie crust and helped the kids make pies for Thanksgiving. The best thing is the kids have been cooking more since I have been cooking less. I love it. Since Thanksgiving is always a large meal, I like to make something healthier. I keep trying to make minestrone and finally figured what I was doing wrong. I needed to add less pasta. Also, I added more herbs. It was so good. My kids loved it. My daughters really liked it.This will be the recipe I will be using from now on when I want to make minestrone soup.
Minestrone Soup
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large zucchini, chopped
1 cup frozen green beans
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped fine
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz.) red kidney beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) great northern beans, drained
4 cans (14 oz.) diced tomatoes   
2 Tbsp dried parsley
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 cups fresh baby spinach, sliced thin
1/2 cup small shell pasta

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. 
  2. Add the onion, celery, garlic, green beans, zucchini, and carrot. Saute for 5 minutes.
  3. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, and spices. Stir and bring the soup to a boil.
  4. Reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Add the spinach and the pasta. Cook for 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
  6. Season to taste.
Recipe adapted from Food.com.

One year ago.......................I made Garlic Knots.
Three years ago...................I made Honey Crostini.
Four years ago.....................I made Breakfast Potatoes.
I will apologize now but I will probably not be posting much until after the holidays. Then I'm going to bake more. I want to try more complex recipes. I will let you know the week before what I'm baking if anyone wants to give me some pointers. Since I have been blogging for many years now, my other plan for the blog will be to repost some of my recipes I really liked. I wish you a wonderful holidays!!!!
I love this girl!

                                                       Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment