Monday, June 6, 2016

Amaranth Porridge

It is summer. It is hot. So, I have been making hot porridge. Where is the logic? Well, my family have been trying these dishes without complaining. I guess when someone is cooking you breakfast with fresh fruit is always a plus. So, I made this porridge with amaranth. I have never cooked with amaranth but I really like the grain. It is smooth and fine. The recipe called for soaking the grain for 24 hours then straining it through a fine mesh strainer before cooking. I have cooked this recipe twice and both times I've soaked it. I hadn't research the grain but had just followed the instructions provided in the recipe. I'm unsure if the soaking is necessary. Other recipes do not state to soak the grain including the package of Bob's Red Mill. The appearance of the grain doesn't appear to change with the soaking and will not plump up. So, I guess it will be your choice to soak or not to soak. I will say that I love amaranth. It still has a slight crunch to it after cooking. Of course I added toasted almonds for even more of a crunch. Again, I really loved this recipe since I've made it a couple of times. Even if it is hot outside, you should try some amaranth porridge today.
Amaranth Porridge with raspberries
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch of sea salt
2/3 cup amaranth
1 1/2 cup milk 
Toppings: milk, toasted almonds, raspberries, etc.

Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and honey over medium heat.
  2. Add the cinnamon and stir. Cook for 30 seconds.
  3. Add the amaranth with the sea salt. Stir to coat. 
  4. Add the milk and stir. Bring to a simmer. 
  5. Reduce heat to low and cover. Stir often. 
  6. Cook for at least 20 minutes or until the majority of the milk has been absorbed. The amaranth should be thick and creamy consistency with the grain being tender.
  7. Serve with additional milk and desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from The Green Life.

One year ago................................I made Khobz bread.
Two years ago..............................I made Skillet Lasagna.
Three years ago............................I made Cherry Cheese Danish.
Four years ago..............................I made Chocolate Nutella Cookies.
Did you already know..............
-Amaranth grain was the grain of the Aztecs.
-The Spanish Conquistadors banned amaranth since the Aztecs used the grain in the religious ceremonies. 
-Amaranth grain is gluten free.

No comments:

Post a Comment