Friday, November 4, 2011

Sausage, Bean, and Vegetable Soup

The first time I made soup it lacked a lot of flavor. It tasted like water with vegetables. I tried again and still the same results. I didn't know if I should attempt it again or just forget it. 
One day I was talking to a good friend who was a vegetarian. She made soup all the time. I told her my problem and she said that it was probably the stock I was using. What? Stock? I just was adding water.
A good soup needs to start with a stock. My friend even taught me how to make stock. It came out very good and I had a lot of it. So much, I didn't know what to do with it since I only had a small freezer. Nowadays, I just buy low sodium no MSG stock. If you are going to make soup, please learn from my mistake. Stock makes the difference.
Sausage, Bean, and Vegetable Soup

1 lb. Italian sweet sausage
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
 1 (15.5 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz.) can no salt added diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (32 oz) container of Chicken Stock


  1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the sausage and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned.
  3. Remove sausage and set aside on a plate.
  4. Add the red pepper, garlic, and onion. Cook for about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the zucchini and stir. Cook for about 3 minutes. 
  6. Stir in the beans and cook 1 minute.
  7. Add the cans of tomatoes and the sausage to the saucepan. Stir well.
  8. Add the stock and stir. Bring the soup to a boil.
  9. After the soup starts to boil, reduce heat and cover.
  10. Let soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
Recipe adapted from Fast and Healthy Magazine Jan/Feb 1997.
(Yes, I have kept it that long.)
Even better in a Princess bowl!
Did you already know.................
-Chicken stock is made with vegetables, herbs, and meaty chicken bones.
-Chicken broth is made more from the meat of the chicken than the bones.
-Broth can be served on its own while stock is a component of a dish.
-By the stock vs. broth definition, there should be no vegetable stock since it would have been made with bones in it only vegetable broth.
-Vegetable stock is available for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment