Monday, November 7, 2011

Apple and Cheddar Scones

When we go apple picking, we pick an abundance of apples. My oldest daughter loves apples and she eats at least an apple a day. Maybe the saying is true, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. She is hardly ever sick. Well, I still have plenty of apples left. I knew it was time to get some baking done.
There are so many apple recipes out there. What should I make? Then my favorite friend gave me sharp cheddar for my birthday. I love cheddar. I remembered making a scone with apples and cheddar cheese last year. It is the only recipe I have ever made that combines cheddar with apples. Normally, I like my apple recipes sweet. These are so good. I can't tell you how well they are the second day since there are never any left. 
Apple and Cheddar Scones.


2 tart apples
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar plus a little additional for the top
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup heavy cream plus 1 Tbsp for the top
2 large eggs

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Peel and chop the apples into chunks. 
  4. Place in a single layer on the baking sheet.
  5. Bake the apples about 20 minutes.
  6. Let the apples cool completely.
  7. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt to a food processor.
  8. Add the butter and pulse about 10 times or until resembles course crumbs.
  9. Add 1 egg and heavy cream. Pulse about 3 times. 
  10. Add the cheese and the cooled apples. Pulse about 3 more times.
  11. Generously, flour the working surface to roll your dough.
  12. Pat the dough into a circle.
  13. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  14. Use a 2 inch biscuit cutter.
  15. Scoop the dough into the biscuit cutter to make 1 inch circle onto the baking sheet. 
  16. Repeat but leaving about 3 inches apart between each scone. ***
  17. In a small bowl, beat the 2nd egg with heavy cream.
  18. Brush each scone with the egg wash and sprinkle sugar on top.
  19. Bake about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. 
  20. After a minute, transfer scones to a cooling rack.
  21. Let cool about 10 minutes. Enjoy!
***If you desire, you can freeze the scones at this point. Place the
cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30-60 minutes. After the scones are frozen, transfer the scones to a freezer storage bag. When ready to use, complete step 17 and bake for additional 5 minutes. I have done this and they still taste great!cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30-60 minutes. After the scones are frozen, transfer the scones to a freezer storage bag. When ready to use, complete step 17 and bake for additional 5 minutes. I have done this and they still taste great!
Recipe adapted from Smitten kitchen and originally from the cookbook The Perfect Finish.
Did you already know................
-The British tend to pronounce scone as rhyming with John.
-The United States tend to pronounce scone as rhyming with cone.
I pronounce scone as rhyming with cone but my children call it muffin top. However you pronounce it, you will call these delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment