Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Russian Tea Cakes

It is always nice to have unexpected company. Every time I think we are going to have a quiet weekend, we have someone visit. I will admit my Dad visits me almost every day. I like when he stops to see us. He likes to give my husband a hard time which my husband thinks he is being abused. Believe me, my husband gives my Dad a hard time back so please do not feel sorry for him. My sisters occasionally stop to see us. My favorite friend visits us often which we like especially the kids since she spoils them and she is one of their favorite people too.
This past weekend we had unexpected company from out of town. I served these cookies to them. I asked them if they were blog worthy and they agreed. My husband liked them so I'm unsure if he knew there were nuts in them. My oldest daughter brought them to school to share and they agreed they are good. I hope you like them too!
Russian Tea Cakes
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup finely chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 cups of powdered sugar to coat the cookies

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix the 1 cup of butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla.
Add the flour, nuts, and salt. Mix until the cookies form a ball.
Roll the dough into one inch balls.
Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet about one inch apart.
Bake the cookies for 10 minutes or until set but not browned.
Let cool for about 1 minute and transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
After a few minutes cooling, roll the cookies in the powdered sugar.
Place the cookies back onto the cooling rack to cool for about four minutes longer and then roll the cookies in the powdered sugar again for a second coating.
Recipe adapted from the Betty Crocker website.

Did you already know................
-The Russian Tea Cake originated from Russian in the 18th century. 
-Catherine the Great was inspired by prevailing French customs began to have tea ceremonies with confections including the Russian Tea Cake.
-Similar cookies can be traced to the Medieval Arabian region before being introduced to Europe by the Moors.

No comments:

Post a Comment