Since my son has been asking for asparagus again, I figured I would do a twist on this recipe. My son helped prepare the dish with me. He even recruited my oldest daughter to help. They did a pretty good job.
I will admit I don't use puff pastry a lot. The kids like it and it is very versatile. It does look fancy doesn't it.Asparagus Spirals
1 lb asparagus
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 lemon zest, grated
1 tsp dry thyme
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take one stalk of asparagus and bend it in half until it snaps.
- Cut the other pieces of asparagus the same length as the snapped asparagus.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the asparagus.
- Add the lemon zest and thyme. Toss to coat the asparagus.
- Roll out the sheet of puff pastry.
- Cut the puff pastry hortizontally in 1/2 inch strips.
- Wrap the strips around each piece of asparagus.
- Cook the asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet for about 15 or until golden brown.
Did you already know...
-In 1937, Margaret Rudkin began to experiment with making preservative-free bread because her son was allergic to the commercial breads ingredients.
-Margaret Rudkin began to sell her bread to local grocers.
-She named her business Pepperidge Farm after her family's farm in Connecticut.