We just arrived home from vacation. I really think I need a few days longer to rest. We traveled from Maine to Mississippi to Georgia to Virginia to New Jersey and finally home. My children ate catfish, rode horses, and went to an amusement park. The best part of our trip was visiting with friends and family.After this trip, I needed something quick for supper. (Sorry, no catfish recipes here.) I made extra to freeze for another time. I did think the original recipe had no chili powder in it and was called chili mac so I had to add some.
Stovetop Chili Mac
1 lb. rigatoni pasta
1 tsp. olive oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 lb. hamburger
1 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
Salt and pepper
1 cup corn kernels
1 small zucchini, shredded
1 can (28. oz) fire roasted tomatoes
4 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add the hamburger and increase the heat to medium high. Cook for 5 minutes while breaking up the meat.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir until incorporated.
- Add the corn and zucchini. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the can of tomatoes with juice to the pan. Stir well.
- Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add additional seasonings if needed.
- In a serving dish, add the pasta and top with the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle the dish with cheese and serve.
Did you already know...
-From Maine to Mississippi, it is roughly 1,700 miles.
-Six states make up New England. (Can you name them?)
-By traveling the most direct route to Mississipi from Maine, a driver while pass through 4 of the 6 New England States. (Do you know which two states a driver will not pass through unless they become lost?)