Sunday, June 24, 2012

Virgins Bloody Marys

When I went to make this weeks Project Pastry Queen, I hadn't realized that I did not have any non-flavored vodka. I figured the Bloody Marys recipe picked by Emily of She Makes and Bakes probably wouldn't taste the best with blueberry vodka. Even if I had drank 5 Bloody Marys, I still would have stayed away from the blueberry vodka. 
When I went to take my photos, my son suddenly appeared. (It is like when you have an important phone call and the children insist they need to talk to you right then even though they had been playing quietly for the last hour.) I was very glad I decided to make these nonalcoholic. I even let him try it. He said it was very spicy but good. He liked the celery sticking out of the drink the best. I liked it but next time I'll definitely add vodka. Isn't that the best part of a Bloody Mary? My husband says the best part is that it is a meal in a drink. He thinks Bloody Marys should be garnished with shrimp and other great toppings. I kept it simple but please check out the other member's version of this recipe. I bet no one used blueberry vodka
Virgin Bloody Marys
4 cups tomato juice
Juice of 2 limes
2 tsp horseradish
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp Frank's Red Hot sauce
Salt and pepper
Celery for garnish


Directions:
  1. Combine the tomato juice, lime juice, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, celery salt, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper to taste in a large pitcher.
  2. Divide the drinks evenly in 4 glasses and garnish with the celery.
Recipe adapted from The Pastry Queen cookbook by Rebecca Rather.
Did you already know...
-Bloody Marys are a popular brunch drink.
-Bloody Marys are said to be a good hangover cure.
-Bloody Marys tend to be high in sodium.
Bloody Marys are a good disguise!

No comments:

Post a Comment