Sunday, March 31, 2013

Candy Eggs

Happy Easter!
Since Easter is so early this year, I thought it would be great to make a fake egg. I thought it would be a fitting April Fools Joke in connection with Easter. My oldest daughter helped me make the white part of the egg. My younger children saw us making these eggs. After I assembled them, I placed them on the plate. My husband walked in the kitchen and saw them. He didn't realize they were fake. My younger children were fooled too. I made two different "yolks" since I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I think both ways were great. The original recipe calls for lemon curd but I wanted something else. I liked the results. 
Candy Eggs
2 cups of white candy melts
12 yellow gummy bears
12 yellow Starburst candy
4 orange Starburst candy

Directions:
  1. Melt the white candy melt in the microwave. Stir often.
  2. Pour the melted candy melts into plastic Easter eggs. Be generous.
  3. Refrigerate the Easter eggs until the candy melts harden.
  4. Carefully, remove the candy melts from the Easter eggs by gently squeezing the sides of the eggs. Some will break but it will just add to the appearance of the eggs.
  1. To make the lighter yolk, melt the yellow gummy bears in the microwave for about 10 seconds at a time. (I only used 2 bears at a time.) Once pliable, carefully place the hot bears on top of the candy melts making a ball to look like yolk. Allow to harden.
  1. To make the darker yolk, melt 3 yellow Starburst with 1 orange Starburst at a time. 
  2. Mix the Starburst together until the colors have been incorporated. 
  3. Carefully add the Starburst candy on top of the candy melt forming a ball. 
Serve to unexpecting people.Recipe adapted from What's New Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson. 

One year ago.........................I made Spaghetti and Meatball cupcakes.
Did you already know...........
-Eggs and birds have been around longer than humans.
-In 1400 B.C., records view birds have been domesticated by the Egyptian and Chinese. 
-In 1493, Christopher Columbus brought chickens to America.

I wish you luck tomorrow on spotting hoaxes. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment