Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pound Cake

I survived April Fools Day. I was pretty lucky since my youngest son tried to trick all of us. He did manage to trick my sister and his best friend. Everyone else had already been warned. His sisters told him to leave them alone. My husband did manage to trick him into thinking there was no school. It didn't take my son long to catch onto that trick. My son told us April Fools is his special day to get us. I just wonder what will be in store for us when he is older. Well, I tried a trick with some food coloring and some pound cake. I wanted to make a marble look. As you can tell, I think the trick was more on me since I should have marbled it more. This pound cake is good and makes great gifts.
Pound Cake
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 drops of red food coloring

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
  5. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat for about a minute before adding the next egg.
  6. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
  7. Slowly, add the flour and mix until just incorporated. Don't overmix.
  8. Add half of the pound cake batter to the loaf pan.
  9. Measure out about 1 cup of the remaining batter. 
  10. Add the food coloring to the 1 cup of batter. Mix about 20 times. 
  11. Pour a few spoonfuls of the colorful batter onto of the batter in the loaf pan. Run a knife in the batter to form a marble affect.
  12. Add more of the remaining batter and the colorful batter. 
  13. Randomly run the knife through it to form additional marble affect.
  14. Bake the pound cake for about 35 minutes. Check the cake. If it is browning quickly, cover loosely with foil.
  15. Continue baking for another 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  16. Remove the pound cake from the oven. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Baking From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan. 
One year ago.........................I made Chocolate & Peanut Butter Ribbon Dessert.
Did you already know...........
-Pound cake has been around since 1747.
-Pound cake originated from Britain.
-Pound cake is known to have about a pound of butter, eggs, and sugar in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment