Friday, October 3, 2014

Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuits

This weekend my children stayed up late. I mean they stayed up until midnight. They still woke up early. By the time it was dinner time, the kids could not stop laughing. I found it very funny. I'm just glad I served something easy like broccoli cheddar soup with these wonderful biscuits. These are my favorite biscuits. I love cheddar like my husband loves peanut butter. I have made these biscuits several times so I figured I should share it. Since it is October, we have to give everything spooky names.
Even Zombies would eat these biscuits
2 1/2 cups flour plus additional
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
10 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3/4 cup extra sharp Cheddar, shredded
1 Tbsp milk

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. 
  4. Add the butter and mix until the butter is incorporated to the size of peas.
  5. In a glass measuring cup, combine the buttermilk with an egg. Beat lightly with a fork to combine.
  6. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until just moistened.
  7. Combine the cheddar cheese with a little flour to coat.
  8. Gently, combine the cheese with the dough. 
  9. Mix only until just combined.
  10. On a floured surface, scoop out the dough and knead six times.
  11. Roll the dough into a rectangle.
  12. With a sharp, floured knife, divide the dough into 8 rectangles.
  13. Place the rectangles onto the parchment paper.
  14. Brush the tops of the biscuits with the milk.
  15. Bake for 20 minutes or until the biscuits are cooked through.
Recipe adapted from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics cookbook.

One year ago..........................I made Swamp Alien Soup.
Two years ago........................I made German Pancakes.
Three years ago......................I made Hamburger with Jack o Latern cheese.
Did you already know...............
-School age children should have between 9 to 11 hours a sleep a night.
-Teenagers should be sleeping between 8.5 to 9.5 hours a sleep a night.
-The Mayo Clinic recommends adults should sleep 7 to 8 hours a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment