Monday, October 20, 2014

No Boil, One Pot Mac and Cheese

The kids have been asking for macaroni and cheese. So, I caved. I haven't been cooking lately so I thought this would make them happy. I decided to try this one pot mac and cheese so I would have less dishes. I would say the best part of this dish was the one pot but actually it was the creamy and cheese pasta. I used the large elbow noodles to make it appear to be scary for Halloween.
Cheese and Intestines aka Mac and Cheese
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 cup flour
6 cups milk
3/4 lb. large elbow noodles
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup Fontina cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to broil. 
  2. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil and butter over medium heat.
  3. Once the butter has melted, add the onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle the flour on top and whisk. Cook for 1 minute.
  5. Add 1 cup of milk and whisk to dissolve the lumps.
  6. Add the remaining 5 cups of milk. Bring to a simmer.
  7. Add the elbow noodles and stir. Cook for 6 minutes.
  8. Remove the pot from the oven and stir in the cheddar and Fontina cheeses.
  9. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
  10. Place in the oven and broil for 1 minute or golden on top.
  11. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Yahoo.com.

One year ago...........................I made Snail Cookies.
Two years ago.........................I made Crab Rangoon.
Three years ago.......................I made Pumpkin Whoopie Pies.
Did you already know...............
-The small intestines are 20 feet long.
-The small intestines absorbs the nutrients for most of the food we eat. 
-The large intestines are 5 feet long.

No comments:

Post a Comment