Monday, January 19, 2015

Chicken Pad See Ew

This recipe called for sweet soy sauce. I had never heard of sweet soy sauce so I goggled it. Sure enough, there is a product called sweet soy sauce. Also, I found a recipe for sweet soy sauce but it had spices in it that I was unsure if it would be correct. I asked my husband about it but he had never heard of it so we went to several stores. Of course, I couldn't find it. I asked a store employee who was working the shelves about the product. She told me that she had never heard of sweet soy sauce and she even lived in Japan. I told her my husband had never heard of it too and he had lived in Japan too. The store employee or my husband didn't seem to know much about Thai cuisine but the employee told me just add sugar which I did. Hopefully, you will have better luck in finding sweet soy sauce. Since I didn't want to order it online and have to wait, I went ahead with the recipe. My youngest daughter loved this dish especially the chicken. I would make this dish again. We do have a Thai restaurant near us, I think I will have to order it and compare. Hopefully, my dish tasted close.
Chicken Pad See Ew
2 chicken breast, sliced into long thin strips
1 egg white
3 cloves of garlic, minced
6 Tbsp soy sauce, divided
1/4 tsp ground pepper
16 oz. package Rice Noodles
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups broccoli, cooked al dente
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp rice vinegar

Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine the chicken breast, egg white, minced garlic, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, and the ground pepper.
  2. Chill the chicken mixture in the refrigerator from 30 minutes to an hour.
  3. In a medium bowl, place the rice noodles.
  4. Cover the noodles with hot water. 
  5. Allow the noodles to soak until the noodles turn white and soft about 10 minutes.
  6. Drain the noodles before mushy and set aside. 
  7. In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. 
  8. Add one egg and whisk.
  9. Add 2 Tbsp soy sauce and whisk. 
  10. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken is partially cooked. 
  11. Remove the chicken and set aside on a plate.
  12. Add the other egg and whisk. 
  13. Add the noodles and combine. 
  14. Return the chicken to the wok/skillet.
  15. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 3 Tbsp soy sauce with the sugar. 
  16. Add the oyster sauce and vinegar to the sweetened soy sauce.
  17. Combine the sauce with the noodles and chicken . 
  18. Add the broccoli and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
  19. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from the Cooking Channel

One year ago.........................I made Baked Oatmeal.
Three years ago....................I made Banana Bread
Did you already know...................
-Thailand was formally known as Siam.
-Bangkok, the capital, is the largest city in Thailand.
-Buddhism is the leading religion of Thailand.

2 comments:

  1. Pad See Ew is my favorite Thai dish! This looks great and it looks simple enough to make at home. I probably would just sweeten regular soy sauce ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now, I'm really going to have to order it. My sister told me it was her favorite too.

    ReplyDelete