Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Creme Anglaise

Since I knew I was going to make a chocolate souffle, I wanted to serve a sauce with it. I figured I would make this thin custard sauce. I figured I would try it over some berries. It was really good. Did I like it over the souffle? No. This sauce is served chilled so it needs to be prepared in advance. My son assisted in making this sauce. He had to try it warm. He liked it. Also, he liked using the cooking thermometer. To him, this dish was more like a Science experiment. My husband liked it. He thought it would have been a good topping for the Angel Food cake in which I had made the prior week.
Creme Anglaise
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract

Directions:
  1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk and heavy cream. Bring to a boil.
  2. In a medium saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together. 
  3. While whisking, drizzle about a couple of spoonful of the hot milk into the egg yolks.
  4. Continue whisking, slowly drizzle the remaining liquid into the egg yolks. 
  5. While continuing to whisk, heat the mixture until it thickens. The mixture temperature should reach 175 degrees F. 
  6. Remove the mixture from the pan and pour the mixture into a heatproof bowl. 
  7. Stir in the vanilla extract.
  8. Refrigerate the cream until it is very cold then cover the mixture tightly. 
  9. Allow the mixture to chill for 24 hours so the flavor will intensify.
Recipe adapted from Baking cookbook by Dorie Greenspan.

One year ago..............................I made Chicken Pad See Ew.
Two years ago............................I made Baked Oatmeal.
Three years ago..........................I made World Peace Cookies.
Did you already know.............
-Another name for Creme Anglaise is English custard.
-Creme Anglaise needs to be kept away from strong odors so the flavor.
-Creme Angliaise is a cooked custard which can be served over fruit, crepes, pies, truffles, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment