Monday, January 9, 2017

One Pot Spinach Sausage Pasta

How has your year been going so far? Are you still going strong on your New Year resolutions? Have you broken any? Our New Year resolution is just to be a little more frugal and eat more fruit. It really isn't that hard. Also, the other New Year resolution is the kids and I are doing a number of exercises for the number of the day into the year which means if it is the 9th day of the year we will do 9 sit ups, stretches, push ups, jumping jacks, etc. So, far so good but I am unsure when we hit day 50 of the year!
     I have started cooking new dishes again. Recently, I have been trying to make easy one skillet meals. The kids like them. My husband likes them. Plus I can add additional vegetables which no one complains. Whether they notice or not, they haven't said anything.
     I may spend less time preparing supper but we still eat at the table as a family. I can't remember the last time we have not ate at the table. I think it is less messy plus we talk. We normally will ask about the best part of their day. It is cute how the kids go into stories about their favorite part of the day. The stories they tell us tend to make us laugh. When my oldest daughter lived at home, she always went last. Her stories always took the longest. Any other time of the day, she spoke the least. I think she was saving it for supper.
     My children practiced their photography skills and took the photos for me. I asked them to take a photo of themselves but they didn't. I will have to get some photos of them soon.
One Pot Spinach Sausage Pasta
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 package smoked sausage, chopped
8 oz. mushrooms, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups uncooked pasta
4 cups water
2 Tbsp basil plus more for garnish
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
  2. Add the chopped sausage and saute until heated. 
  3. Remove the sausage and place on a plate lined with paper towels.
  4. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 4 minutes.
  5. Add the pasta, water, and basil. 
  6. Season with salt and pepper. 
  7. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is the desired tender.
  8. Stir in the spinach, heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, milk, and sausage. 
  9. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
  10. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. 
  11. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe adapted from Chef In Training.

One year ago......................................I made Italian Cream Cake.
Two years ago....................................I made Stuffed Pepper Soup.
Three years ago..................................I made Sausage Wonton Appetizers.
Five years ago....................................I made Burgundy Mushrooms.
Did you already know...................
-More kids eat their vegetables if they eat supper with their family.
-Kids that eat supper with their family tend to be more exposed to new foods.
-Dinner conversation helps improve kids vocabulary which help improve their grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment