Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Salisbury Steak

Did you eat TV dinners as a kid? On occasion, we did. One of my favorite TV dinners was the Salisbury steak meal. So, the other day I figured I would make Salisbury steak for the family. I could have made some TV dinners but I elected to make the meal from scratch. I figured it would be better for us. My daughter requested some creamed spinach which I thought was the perfect side dish. My husband loved the Salisbury Steak. He told me it was one of his favorite meals I have made. He didn't care for the creamed spinach even if the kids and I did. If you are feeling you would like a retro meal, then this is a great meal to make.
Salisbury Steak
1 lb. of ground beef
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 Tbsp butter
1 large onion, sliced
8 oz. white mushrooms
2 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth

Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, and one egg. Mix until incorporated.
  2. Divide the mixture into 4 equal sections. Shape into patties.
  3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
  4. Melt the butter and cook the meat patties on each side for 4 minutes. 
  5. Flip the patties and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate. Cover.
  6. Add the onion into the skillet. 
  7. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook the onions for 20 minutes. 
  8. Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes. 
  9. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and mushrooms. Saute for 2 minutes.
  10. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth. Stir well. Raise the heat to medium.
  11. Add the meat patties into the skillet. 
  12. Add one more cup of the chicken broth to the pan. 
  13. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and allow the meat to cook for 15 minutes.
  14. Serve the patties with spoonfuls of the onion, mushrooms, and gravy over the patties.  
Recipe adapted from Taste of Southern
 
One year ago.............................I made Pineapple Syrup.
Two years ago..........................I made Pie Filling.
Three years ago........................I made Pineapple Kolaches.
Did you already know.........................
-Salisbury steak is named after Dr. Salisbury. 
-During the Civil War, Dr. Salisbury tested his food theories on ailing soldiers.
-Dr. Salisbury recommended a diet of hamburgers three times a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment